Jo Kwon Biography
Born: Jo Kwon
Profession: Singer (2am) and Actor
Birth Date: 28 August 1989 (Virgo) at Suwon, South Korea
Vital Stats: 55 kg (Weight), 173 cm (Height), A (Blood Type)
Talent Agency: JYP Entertainment
Meet Jo Kwon, otherwise known as Kkab Kwon, J-Kwon or the male Choi Ji Woo. As an idol singer, regular Star King guest and host of K-Pop Countdown, he is not an unfamiliar face.
Despite looking like the youngest member, Jo Kwon is the leader of four-man ballad group, 2AM. 2AM debuted in 2008 with a heartfelt love serenade titled This Song. But it was the title track from their first mini-album, Even If I Die I Can’t Let You Go, that catapulted their name to fame in South Korea and the rest of Asia. Since then, 2AM has been consistently conquering the music charts with hits like I Did Wrong and You Wouldn’t Answer My Calls.
The talented quartet, along with popular dance group 2PM, are the two subunits of JYP Entertainment’s 10-member boy band, One Day. At first, Jo Kwon was supposed to debut as a member of 2PM. But, his agency later chose to let Jo Kwon fully express his singing ability in the more vocally-focused 2AM.
Jo Kwon joined the cast of reality TV series We Got Married in October 2009, taking on the role of onscreen husband to Brown Eyed Girls’ Ga In. The two were initially invited to feature in the Chuseok Special Episode. However, their appearance garnered the highest ratings of the season and they were made a permanent couple. Dubbed the Adam Couple, many fans have expressed their hope that Jo Kwon and Ga In would date for real. Unfortunately, the couple left the show in January this year. But fret not! Adam Couple fans can still watch the adorable pair act as twin siblings in the sitcom All My Love.
Jo Kwon’s hyperactive dancing and outrageous facial expressions have earned him the title of ‘Master of Kkab’ (meaning exaggeration). The all-rounded entertainer is famed for his parodies of girl group dances and boundless enthusiasm in everything he does.
But make no mistake. Jo Kwon is no overnight celebrity. He holds the record as the longest-serving male trainee in JYP Entertainment, having trained for 7 years and 10 days before finally debuting with 2AM.
Jo Kwon began chasing his dream at the tender age of 13 when he entered “99% Challenge Project”; a talent search by his agency’s CEO, Park Jin Young. The then-short, skinny and bespectacled elementary school kid managed to wow the judges with his powerful high notes and frivolous dance moves. He, along with Wonder Girls’ Sunye, successfully beat the competition and was accepted into JYP as a trainee.
Although his talents and unique personality have won him immense popularity, Jo Kwon has not forgotten his humble beginnings. Prior to his debut, Jo Kwon’s family lived in a cold and dark single-roomed basement. But the filial Jo Kwon made sure to work hard as an artiste and finally managed to buy his parents a new house with his hard-earned money.
- Saint O’Clock, 2010
- Even If I Die I Can’t Let You Go, 2010
- I Was Wrong, 2010
- Time For Confession, 2009
- This Song, 2008
- All My Love (2010)
- K-Pop Countdown (2010)
- Family Outing 2 (2010)
- We Got Married (2009)
- Hot Blood (2008)
- 2011 Seoul Music Awards: Bonsang
- 2011 Seoul Music Awards: R&B Ballad Award
- 2010 Melon Music Awards: Top 10
- 2010 Melon Music Awards: T-World Best Song (Even If I Die I Can’t Let You Go)
- 2010 Golden Disk Awards: Digital Music Daesang (Even If I Die I Can’t Let You Go)
- 2010 Golden Disk Awards: Digital Music Bonsang (Even If I Die I Can’t Let You Go)
- 2010 MBC Entertainment Awards: Rookie Award
- 2010 MBC Entertainment Awards: Best Couple Award (with Brown Eyed
Girls’ Ga In)
- 2010 MBC Entertainment Awards: Special Award
- 2010 Mnet Asian Music Awards: Best Vocal Performance By A Group (Even If I Die
I Can’t Let You Go)
- 2010 Mnet Asian Music Awards: Best Collaboration (We Fell In Love with Brown
Eyed Girls’ Ga In)
- 2010 Mnet 20’s Choice Awards: Most Influential Artist
- 2010 Cyworld Digital Music Awards: February Song Of The Month (Even If I Die I
Can’t Let You Go)
- 2010 Cyworld Digital Music Awards: January Song Of The Month (We Fell In Love
with Brown Eyed Girls’ Ga In)
- 2009 Cyworld Digital Music Awards: December Song Of The Month (We Fell In
Love with Brown Eyed Girls’ Ga In)
- 2008 Asia Song Festival: Rookie Award
- 2008 Cyworld Digital Music Awards: July Rookie Of The Month